The International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) is searching for a full-time, professional two-person team position in the highly successful Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew program. This job requires a passion for mountain biking, excellent communication and volunteer organizational skills, and team compatibility.
The Crew will travel nearly all year in a specially outfitted 2009 Subaru Outback.
The application deadline is Oct. 3, 2008.
For more than 10 years, the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crews have traveled the world, sharing expertise with volunteers, land managers and trail advocates. As a direct result, thousands of miles of appealing, environmentally sustainable trails have been built or revitalized and hundreds of local, IMBA-affiliated mountain bike clubs have bolstered their position in the trails community. The Crews are playing an increasing role in developing IMBA Ride Centers and establishing successful national IMBA programs at grassroots level.
Sponsored by Subaru of America and directed by IMBA, the Trail Care Crews work to grow the mountain bike community, improve the social and environmental sustainability of trails, and motivate mountain biking volunteers to give back to the sport. Couples that enjoy travel and adventure, love to work outside and want to help improve trails and mountain biking are encouraged to apply for this two-year commitment.
- Collaborate with mountain bikers, land managers, and other trail groups to help solve trail development and management challenges through sharing information about successful trail design philosophy and construction techniques.
- Lead IMBA Club Care presentations, one-day seminars and strategic planning sessions designed to improve IMBA-affiliated mountain bike club’s operational, outreach, and strategic capacity.
- Lead IMBA Trailbuilding Schools, one or two day seminars designed to improve the environmental and social sustainability of trails for mountain bikers, other trail users and land management agency personnel.
- Assist IMBA-affiliated clubs in establishing and growing IMBA-developed programs such as a National Mountain Bike Patrol unit, a Team IMBA fundraising event, or Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day celebration.
- Aid in the development of IMBA’s Ride Centers projects by providing educational services, expert consultation, and volunteer coordination services.
- Lead volunteer trailwork projects involving members of IMBA-affiliated mountain bike clubs, other trail users, and land managers.
- Represent IMBA at select festivals and events throughout the year.
- Communicate regularly by phone and email with the program coordinator and Field Programs Director, based in the IMBA office in Boulder, CO.
- Submit written journals and digital photos from the road on a regular basis for the IMBA website.
- Submit short written pieces for IMBA Trail News (topics will be assigned by IMBA).
- Conduct bike shop and sporting goods store presentations showcasing IMBA’s work and great places to ride around the world.
- Represent IMBA, the Trail Care Crew program, the sport of mountain biking, and Subaru of America in a positive, professional manner at all times.
The ideal candidates bring these qualities to the position:
- Passion for growing the sport of mountain biking and improving trails
- A very strong relationship with your spouse/long-time significant other (who will be your partner in this job) and the ability to spend a great deal of time with each other
- A sense of adventure
- A positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Public speaking skills
- Computer savvy (ideal candidate will be proficient with Macintosh computers, software applications including Word, Excel, Mail, iCal. PhotoShop, Illustrator, and database experience helpful)
- Experience and passion for working with volunteers
- A monthly salary, plus a travel and living expense stipend
- Comprehensive medical benefits, including dental (available immediately)
- Deferred compensation retirement plan option
- Use of the official Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew 2009 Outback
Please send a cover letter and resumes by Oct. 3, 2008 to Spencer Powlison at email@example.com or to IMBA, P.O. Box 711, Boulder, CO 80306. The selected applicants will start work in January, 2009.
For more information on IMBA and the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew Program, visit http://www.imba.com/tcc