The 26-inch version of the Firebird was so well received it made its way into the permanent fleet of the Dirt Rag staff. Now Pivot has upped the ante by developing a completely new, 27.5-inch version.
The evolution to the 27.5-inch standard is a testament to Pivot’s belief that boundaries exist to be pushed against, in this case re-engineering a very successful and award-winning platform to accommodate a wheel size that made more sense for its intended use.
To make the best even better, the headtube angle has been slackened, the low BB height maintained, and the amazing Fox Racing Shox 34 added, a 160mm travel 27.5-specific fork that complements already best-in-class handling.
The Firebird 27.5 continues the tradition of its predecessor. It’s a showcase of cross-functional capability, providing riders with the confidence, capability and performance to excel across a wide range of demands. With the update to 27.5 wheels, the boundaries between disciplines become less defined; the frontiers pushed back to reveal new terrain, new speeds and record-breaking performance in enduro racing, park and gravity riding or the occasional DH race.
The new Firebird 27.5 along with the rest of the Pivot Cycles line will be available for media and consumer demo at this weekend’s Sea Otter Classic with bikes shipping in May.
A quick look at the stats:
- 6.6" (167mm) rear travel.
- dw-link suspension design with rearward wheel travel path.
- Pivot specific, custom valved Fox CTD or DHX Kashima coated shock technology featuring increased rider tunability and incredible small bump sensitivity.
- Full 1.5 head tube with custom Pivot angled headset.
- ISCG O5 mounts included for single ring and chain guide compatibility.
- Patented Pivot floating front derailleur mount. Keeps the chain in the sweet spot of the derailleur for better chain retention.
- 142mm rear spacing with 12mm through axle and 160mm post mount dropouts.