- To show convention delegates, media, volunteers, and residents the convenience of bicycling for short trips.
- To highlight bicycling on a national stage and generate positive media coverage to inspire more people to ride.
The final tally shows that during the eight days at the conventions, people from all 50 states and 37 countries:
- Took 7,523 rides
- Pedaled 41,724 miles
- Burned 1,293,429 calories
- Reduced their carbon footprint by 14.6 metric tons
- Reported no accidents or injuries
The event generated a buzz for bicycles in the mainstream media event, with stories appearing on CNN, ABC World News Tonight, and the CBS Evening News, in major newspapers such as The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, and New York Daily News, as well as in Time and Newsweek. According to Bike Belong statistics, the event generated:
- 2,304 clips in print, on television and radio, and online
- Nearly 180 million media impressions
- An equivalent of $10 million in advertising
Kudos to Bikes Belong for promoting bicycling as easy, convenient, healthy, safe, and fun transportation to a large and diverse audience at the national conventions.
Like what you see? Please support independent publishing by Subscribing To Dirt Rag Magazine today.